Wednesday, March 10, 2010

From tray stand to flag stand - how easy is this?


A couple of years ago while visiting my aunt Lucy, she asked if I could use a discarded small tray stand she had picked up at a yard sale. Since I was traveling by train, I asked her to keep it for me when I visited again, by car. This was done last summer and sure enough, it was still waiting for me. As soon as I looked at it and placed it in the car, it dawned on me that it would make a neat and very original "garden flag" stand. How cute is that? Of course, my husband Carl had to do the dirty work and remove the screws and four rods that were in place to hold the trays and prime and PAINT the thing. Sorry to say the flag had to be trimmed just a tad to fit in the opening (Carl drilled a hole on either side at the top)to hold the dowel that holds the flag. This cute little number sits proudly on my front porch to greet guests as they arrive. I think of my aunt Lucy each time I look at this piece. She always re purposes things around her house and I imagine she has passed that gene down to me. So..............the next time you spot one of these at a yard sale or thrift shop - bring it home and do the same thing. You can find these somewhat larger also. I love it and the history behind the projects says a lot also. I appreciate the fact that my aunt Lucy was kind enough to save this little gem for me rather than discarding it. What a shame that would have been?

5 comments:

  1. I love it, Bettie. It's so colorful and cheerful. What a great idea!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate them a lot. Appreciation drives creativity I'm sure. Aren't we thrilled to see "almost Spring" weather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! We love to reuse stuff. No throwing away.
    Hugs,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love it!!! You certainly are one talented lady!!!! Very, very pretyy!! Thans for sharing, have a great night!

    ReplyDelete