Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It sure is hot here, 'down under'!!!



We are in the middle of summer here in Australia.
And it is hot.
And humid.
Thank heavens for air conditioning.
And salads.
Because cooking is the LAST thing I want to do at the end of a muggy day.

I made a DELICIOUS prawn dish the other night.
I will call it........

Coconut prawn salad.

Use whatever salad greens you like and lay them on a serving dish.
I used a mixture of rocket, spinach and mixed salad leaves.
Layer freshly steamed (but cold) asparagus over this.
You can also add spanish onions, finely chopped.
And baby tomatoes
And lebanese cucumbers.
And corriander!!!
LOVE corriander
Then, layer over your prawns....shelled, of course :)

Then, in a small saucepan, pour in I cup of coconut milk.
Get one tablespoon of rice flour and mix with a little of the milk.
Add this to the saucepan.
Heat gently until thickened, slightly. Like thickened cream
Add a tablespoon of fish sauce
A tablespoon of lime juice (or lemon juice)
A teaspoon of sugar.
And one or two finely chopped chillis.

I then pour this sauce into a plastic bottle with a nozzle.
Like a tomato sauce bottle.

When this sauce is cool, and just before serving, drizzle this sauce over your prawn salad.

This is also perfect with cooked chicken!!!


5 comments:

  1. Sharon this sounds so easy and refreshing except you know I don't eat coconut...what could I substitute for the coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing!!
    It has to be coconut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds absolutely delicious! (Also love your mosaic banner!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, your salad looks delicious.

    It is cold here like I have not known in years!!!!!! Brrrrrr

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. The salad looks delightful Sharon! Elijah would refuse the coconut but if I went by everything HE refused we would all starve! I'm sure he couldn't make it past the shrimp! But, it does look yummy!
    Victoria S.

    ReplyDelete